State of Michigan PDK #1607 BYLAWS
ARTICLE I – NAME AND OBJECTIVES
Section 1. Name and Region
The name and title of the chapter shall be:
State of Michigan PDK #1607 Chapter of Phi Delta Kappa International (the “Chapter”).
The Chapter shall be located in the region assigned to it by Phi Delta Kappa International, Incorporated (“PDK”) and shall be headquartered in Lansing (Region D), Michigan.
1.1.1 The chapter results from the voluntary merging of: Chapters 0048 Wayne State University, 0092 Michigan State University, 0118 Central Michigan University, 0155 University of Detroit Mercy, 1027 Grand Rapids Michigan, 1336 Andrews University, 1421 Oakland-Macomb County, and 1522 Saginaw Bay Michigan were merged on 1/31/2008 to form the State of Michigan chapter. Chapters 1212 Big Rapids Michigan, 0024 University of Michigan, and 0168 Northern Michigan University were merged into the State of Michigan on 10/6/09. Chapter 0055 Western Michigan University merged into State of Michigan chapter on 4/17/2012. In agreeing to merge, former chapters maintain the right to revert to chapter status by following procedures in place to create new PDK chapters.
Section 2. Purposes
The objectives of the Chapter are to foster the purposes of PDK and to provide a vehicle by which members can meet and discuss matters of mutual interest.
The nature and purpose of the chapter shall be in concert with the nature and purpose of PDK, an education association that is professional and collegial.
184.108.40.206 The chapter shall be concerned with and direct its efforts toward the improvement of education, especially of publicly supported, universally available education.
220.127.116.11 In keeping with the areas of leadership, research and service, the chapter’s purpose shall be addressed through the development of professional relationships or partnerships not only with educators but also with like-minded individuals and groups.
18.104.22.168 The character of the chapter in carrying forward programs, activities, and initiatives in support of the association’s purpose shall be nonpolitical or nonpartisan .
22.214.171.124 In seeking improvement of education, the chapter shall base its support and actions on sound principles of leadership, careful and objective research, and the desire to serve the common good.
ARTICLE II – ADMINISTRATION
Section 1. Books and Records
2.1.1 The Chapter shall obtain a chapter list from PDK with the names and contact information of the members entitled to vote.
2.1.2 All books and records of the Chapter may be inspected by any member having voting rights, for any proper Chapter purpose, at any reasonable time.
2.1.3 The chapter shall be governed by the Constitution and Bylaws of PDK, including all amendments and revisions thereto.
126.96.36.199 In the event that these chapter bylaws conflict with the PDK Constitution and Bylaws, the latter shall prevail and the chapter bylaws shall be revised accordingly.
Section 2. Fiscal Year
2.2.1 The fiscal year of the chapter shall be the same as the fiscal year of PDK, extending from July 1 through June 30.
188.8.131.52 The chapter shall establish a budget that is consistent with its purpose, goals, and activities.
- The chapter shall be organized exclusively for charitable, religious, educational, and scientific purposes, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future tax code.
- No part of the net earnings of the chapter shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, trustees, officers, or other private persons, except that the chapter shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in the purpose clause hereof. No substantial part of the activities of the chapter shall be carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the chapter shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provision of this document, the organization shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on (a) by an organization exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or (b) by an organization, contributions to which are deductible under section 170 (c) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
2.2.2 The chapter shall be responsible for any fiscal obligation not authorized by the International Board.
184.108.40.206 No loan shall be contracted in the name of PDK without approval of the International Board.
2.2.3 The chapter shall establish the annual chapter dues, which shall be billed by the PDK International Office at the same time that it bills for association dues.
220.127.116.11 Annual dues for new chapter members are paid to the chapter, which shall remit the international portion of such dues to the PDK International Office.
18.104.22.168 All dues are payable in advance of the membership year to which such dues are credited.
2.2.4 Authority not specified in these chapter bylaws shall be exercised in a manner consistent with the PDK Constitution and Bylaws.
2.2.5 At inception, the new board will give full consideration to former chapter funding commitments, i.e., scholarship programs, local Future Educator Association, etc.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Chapter Membership
3.1.1 No person may be a member of the Chapter unless he or she is also a member in good standing of PDK. No person who is a member in good standing of PDK and who pays all applicable Chapter and PDK dues may be denied membership in the Chapter.
3.1.2 Chapter membership categories and voting rights shall be the same as those established in the PDK bylaws. All members may vote on chapter issues and hold chapter office.
3.1.3 Membership in the Chapter may be terminated for non-payment of Chapter or PDK dues. (Note: membership categories and voting rights may not be changed by Chapters.)
3.1.4 Membership in the chapter shall be open to professional educators and other individuals who are committed to the purpose of the association.
3.1.5 Members commit to affiliation with PDK and agree to support the association’s efforts to fulfill its purpose.
3.1.6 The chapter shall not modify membership requirements as set forth in the Constitution and Bylaws.
Section 2. Dues and Assessments
Chapter members shall timely pay Chapter dues. PDK shall bill Chapter members for PDK dues, as well as Chapter dues.
3.2.1 Good-standing membership shall be continued until the member, in accordance with the PDK Constitution and Bylaws: requests withdrawal, is automatically withdrawn for nonpayment of dues, or is expelled.
3.3.1 No person may be a member of a chapter without being a member of PDK.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
Section 1. Officers
- The officers of the Chapter are:
- (Chapter may add additional executive Board members as appropriate for its needs.)
- The term of office shall be two (2) years or until a successor is elected and assumes office.
- No Chapter officer may serve more than two (2) terms in succession in the same office.
4.1.1 Eligibility for the constitutionally required chapter offices shall be limited to professional members in good standing, including President-Elect.
22.214.171.124 The offices of president and treasurer may not be held concurrently by the same individual.
126.96.36.199 The president shall assume primary responsibility for all chapter activities.
188.8.131.52 Upon completion of term or resignation of the president, a new president shall be elected.
184.108.40.206 Vacancies between elections shall be filled by appointment of the executive board.
Section 2. Duties
4.2.1 The President:
- Serves as the official voice and representative of the Chapter.
- Presides over Chapter meetings.
- Performs such other duties as the Chapter may require.
4.2.2 The Treasurer:
- Ensures that Chapter financial transactions are timely and proper and that Chapter financial accounts are properly maintained.
- Ensures that Chapter financial records and tax forms are properly maintained and submitted.
- Performs such other duties as the Chapter may require.
(Duties of additional necessary officers can be added)
Section 3. Board of Officers
4.3.1 Collectively, the officers of the Chapter shall make up the Board of Officers. The Board of Officers shall be the governing and policy-making body of the Chapter and shall have responsibility for supervising the activities of the Chapter.
Section 4. Eligibility
4.4.1 The Officers of the Chapter must be members of PDK in good standing.
Section 5. Nomination and Election
4.5.1 At least three (3) months before the next term of office begins, the Board of Officers shall appoint a nominations committee consisting of at least three (3) voting members in good standing. The nominations committee shall recruit and accept nominations for each officer position due for election.
4.5.2 At least two (2) months before the next term of office begins the nominations committee shall publicize officer openings and identified nominees to all Chapter members. Additional nominations may be made, up to the date of election, provided that the nominated member is in good standing and meets the requirements for the office.
4.5.3 At least one (1) month before the next term of offices begins, the election of officers shall be held. The election may be conducted by email, regular mail, and/or at a regular meeting of the Chapter, provided that at least 30 days notice of the pending election and procedures for voting has been given to all Chapter members.
4.5.4 A plurality of those voting for each position shall be required to elect.
Section 6. Vacancy and Removal
4.6.1 No Chapter officer may remain in office if he/she no longer meets the eligibility criteria for office.
4.6.2 Should any elected or appointed officer be unable to fulfill his/her elected term, the remaining officers (by majority vote) shall appoint a member to fill the vacant position for the remainder of the term. The appointed member must meet the qualification requirements for the position.
4.6.3 Any Chapter officer may be removed from office by a vote of the membership for failure to perform the duties of office, negligence, violation of PDK’s policies or procedures, or any other reason, provided that:
220.127.116.11 The members of the Chapter, including the officer to be removed, have been notified in advance of the reason for potential removal
18.104.22.168 The officer has been provided an opportunity to respond on his/her own behalf.
22.214.171.124 A majority of a quorum at a properly noticed and held meeting vote to remove the officer from office.